This facility was locally known as “Old Standby”, which manufactured gas and conveyed it to the local community for lighting, heating, and industrial purposes. The facility earned the nickname “Old Standby” for its reliability in keeping the lights on during severe weather conditions.
The Mount Joy manufactured gas plant was originally constructed around 1879 and operated until about 1951. PPL Electric Utilities’ predecessor, the former Pennsylvania Power and Light Company (PP&L), owned the site at 225 West Main Street, Mount Joy, PA from around 1930 through 1949, when it was sold to the Lancaster County Gas Company. UGI Corporation, the current owner of the property, acquired the site from the Lancaster County Gas Company and currently operates natural gas regulation and distribution facilities on the property.