Mount Joy Borough & East Donegal Township Compost Site
Now open to Other Municipalities
COME AND GET IT!
We have piles of Leaf Compost and Wood Mulch
Due to construction activities at the compost site, the Mount Joy Borough/East Donegal Township Compost Site will be experiencing some challenges in our normal operations. There is a limited amount of space for processing material and for traffic flow. So the following changes will be in place for 2018…
All mulch and compost will be available FREE OF CHARGE to East Donegal Township and Mount Joy Borough residents in 2018. Yes, that’s right, FREE! The loader will not be available to lead your truck or trailer, so bring your own shovel and help yourself on the days the site is open. We will attempt to have piles that are accessible for you to load your vehicle. Please bear with us as things will change on a weekly basis. We will make every effort to provide access to the site each week. In the event that the site must be closed temporarily, we will post it here.
Mulch and Compost delivery will be available for Mount Joy Borough residents ONLY.
Call (717) 653-8226 for details and to schedule.
A $15.00 delivery charge will apply.
Off street dump area must be provided.
Driver has the right to refuse delivery because of unsuitable site conditions.
Someone must be there to accept and pay for the load at the time of delivery.
Deliveries will be on Fridays and Saturdays that correspond to open site hours.
Cash or Check made out to Mount Joy Borough accepted.
Traveling East towards Lancaster: Turn right onto South Barbara Street, go over the bridge and take a left. Follow to the stop sign and take a right onto South Jacob Street. Proceed on that road until you see the facility on the right side.
Traveling West towards Elizabethtown: Turn left onto South Barbara Street, go over the bridge and take a left. Follow to the stop sign and take a right onto South Jacob Street. Proceed on that road until you see the facility on the right side.
2018 Compost Site Hours of Operation
- Beginning April 6, 2018, until November 17, 2018, open every Friday from 3 PM- 6 PM and Saturday from 9 AM- 12 PM. Except May 25 & 26 and August 31 & September 1.
- Site is open to the residents of Mount Joy Borough and East Donegal Township. These residents are required to present a copy of their refuse bill at the time of drop off to avoid dumping charges. If you do not have a copy of your bill you can stop by the Borough Office to obtain a certificate of residency to take with you.
- Other Municipalities – there is a $10.00 charge to dump a pickup or small trailer load. In I
The following will be accepted:
- Woody Waste materials (ex. sticks and branches)
- Leaves – process separately and differently than woody waste, therefore leaves need to be bagged separately. Also, Borough residents are encouraged to utilize the curbside leaf pick-up service provided by the Borough during the month of November each year. This will also be advertised in the merchandiser.
- Christmas Trees
- Yard waste is not required to be bagged but, if you prefer to do so, Kraft bags can be purchased at the Borough Office or at the Milanof-Schock Library located at 1184 Anderson Ferry Road. There is a $0.50 charge per Kraft bag.
The following will not be accepted:
- Grass clipping
- Tree branches/trunks over 19″ in diameter and/or over 8′ in length
- Tree stumps
- Construction/demolition waste (ex. boards, etc.)
- Any material packaged in plastic bags will need to be dumped and removed from the plastic bag at the site. Plastic bags do not degrade in the composting process and therefore can not be accepted.
In an effort to improve the quality of the products that we are producing at the Compost Site, the Public Works Department is requiring that the items that are being dropped off need to be separated in the following areas:
Yard Waste: This is the smaller, mostly green items such as weeds, plants and leafy materials.
Woody Waste: This is the tree branches, tree trunks and those materials that are mostly wood.