Mount Joy Borough & East Donegal Township Compost Site
Due to the COVID-19 Pandemic, the following changes have been made to the Borough Compost Site:
Beginning June 15th regular hours will resume. Monday 3 PM – 6 PM and Saturday 9 AM – 12 PM. Social distancing will be enforced.
Mulch and Compost delivery will be available for Mount Joy Borough residents ONLY.
Call (717) 653-8226 for details and to schedule.
If you would like to schedule a delivery you will need to place an order by providing the following information along with a $20.00 delivery fee. This information and payment should be dropped off at the drop box in front of the Borough Office or mailed to the Borough Office at 21 East Main Street, Mount Joy, 17552.
Material wanted: Mulch or Compost
How many scoops: 1 2 3
After your order and payment is received, someone from Public Works will call to schedule the delivery.
The location to dump the material will need to be clearly marked and cannot be on the street.
Traveling East towards Lancaster: Turn right onto South Barbara Street, go over the bridge and take a left. Follow to the stop sign and take a right onto South Jacob Street. Proceed on that road until you see the facility on the right side.
Traveling West towards Elizabethtown: Turn left onto South Barbara Street, go over the bridge and take a left. Follow to the stop sign and take a right onto South Jacob Street. Proceed on that road until you see the facility on the right side.
2020 Compost Site Hours of Operation
- Effective June 15, 2020, the Compost Site will be open Monday 3 PM – 6 PM and Saturday from 9 AM -12 PM. No appointment needed. Social distancing will be enforced. The Compost Site will be closed on Saturday, May 23 and Monday, May 25, 2020, in observance of Memorial Day, Saturday, July 4, 2020 in observance of Independence Day and Saturday, September 5 and Monday, September 7, 2020, in observance of Labor Day. Hours subject to change.
- Site is open to the residents of Mount Joy Borough and East Donegal Township. These residents are required to present a copy of their refuse bill at the time of drop off to avoid dumping charges. If you do not have a copy of your bill you can stop by the Borough Office to obtain a certificate of residency to take with you.
- Other Municipalities – there is a $10.00 charge to dump a pickup or small trailer load.
The following will be accepted:
- Woody Waste materials (ex. sticks and branches)
- Leaves – process separately and differently than woody waste, therefore leaves need to be bagged separately. Also, Borough residents are encouraged to utilize the curbside leaf pick-up service provided by the Borough during the month of November each year. This will also be advertised in the merchandiser.
- Christmas Trees
- Yard waste is not required to be bagged but, if you prefer to do so, Kraft bags can be purchased at the Borough Office or at the Milanof-Schock Library located at 1184 Anderson Ferry Road. There is a $0.50 charge per Kraft bag.
The following will not be accepted:
- Grass clipping
- Tree branches/trunks over 19″ in diameter and/or over 8′ in length
- Tree stumps
- Construction/demolition waste (ex. boards, etc.)
- Any material packaged in plastic bags will need to be dumped and removed from the plastic bag at the site. Plastic bags do not degrade in the composting process and therefore can not be accepted.
In an effort to improve the quality of the products that we are producing at the Compost Site, the Public Works Department is requiring that the items that are being dropped off need to be separated in the following areas:
Yard Waste: This is the smaller, mostly green items such as weeds, plants and leafy materials.
Woody Waste: This is the tree branches, tree trunks and those materials that are mostly wood.